“The mission of the Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP)-Faculty Development Center is to support Tougaloo College by providing leadership of the implementation of the QEP and by creating opportunities for faculty to achieve personal and professional growth. In 2008, Tougaloo College adopted a QEP of "Advancing Student Learning through Critical Thinking and Analytical Reasoning.” This theme will remain in effect until June, 2018, and a new theme was selected for implementation during the 2018-2019 academic year: “Transforming Students in Preparation for Tomorrow’s Professions.”
The QEP Goals, with Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs) where applicable are:
- Establish programs and projects that infuse critical thinking and analytical reasoning practices in selected general education and major courses to facilitate the acquisition and enhancing of these higher order thinking skills in all students. The SLOs are:
- Students should demonstrate a measureable improvement in analytical, evaluative, inferential, and deductive skills during their matriculation at Tougaloo College;
- Students will be able to apply ethical and moral reasoning to effectively challenge, question, and re-assess the tenants of conventional thinking;
- Students will be able to demonstrate that they understand complex social issues and provide leadership in formulating solutions; and
- Students will demonstrate their ability to critically read, research, and appropriately document findings related to their academic major.
- Recruit, retain, and graduate more students who demonstrate critical thinking and analytical reasoning to optimize student success and create a more ethical, thoughtful, and responsible citizenry.
- Institutionalize the Faculty Development Center to support faculty in developing a skills-based approach that targets specific abilities that students must master at the conclusion of their courses to enhance their critical thinking and analytical reasoning.
"Those people who develop the ability to continuously acquire new and better forms of knowledge that they can apply to their work and to their lives will be the movers and shakers in our society for the indefinite future."
― Brian Tracy
We are here to help you! Feel free to call, email, visit, or write:
QEP-Faculty Development Center
500 West County Line Road
Tougaloo, MS 39174
L. Zenobia Coleman Library, 2nd Floor
Brenda Wilder, Ph.D.
Coordinator, Faculty Development/QEP