If You Find or Open a Suspicious Package, Letter, Box, or Container
Do not handle the package. Move away if you feel threatened and call Campus Security at ext. 7857.
If you have opened a suspicious package or letter:
- Leave the package or envelope in place and move away slowly.
- Leave the room slowly; notifying others to leave the room also, closing doors behind as you go.
Do not operate any power switches.
Do not activate the fire alarm.
Do not allow re-entry into the area/location where the package is located.
Follow the instructions you will receive from Campus Security or other recognized authorities.
If a Bomb Threat is Received Over the Telephone, Take the Following Actions
Stay calm. Try to pay close attention to all details. They may be important. Take notes. Attempt to get the following information from the caller:
- Who are you?
- Why are you doing this?
- What time is the bomb set to explode?
- What does it look like?
- Who else have you told?
- What is your organization?
- Where is the bomb placed?
- What type of bomb is it?
- Where are you calling from?
Have a co-worker or another person contact the Campus Security at ext. 7857, using another phone. Write information down as the caller says it and have the co-worker relay information to Campus Security. Try to keep the caller on the phone. Listen for any background noises, voice inflection or accents, and/or anything that would help determine the origin of the call. Evacuate the building only upon the instruction from properly identified emergency personnel or as deemed appropriate in individual situations.
If You Are Told to Evacuate
- Be aware of your surroundings as you evacuate.
- Avoid and do not touch suspicious or unfamiliar items.
- Take personal belongings when you leave if it will not delay your departure. You might not be allowed back in for an extended period.
- Leave doors and windows open.
- Do not turn on or off lights.
- Only use the stairs; DO NOT USE ELEVATORS.
- Move well away from the building to your Emergency Assembly Area and wait for further instructions from Campus Security or other recognized authorities.