Jackson Heart Study Undergraduate Training and Education Center (JHSUTEC) Scholar Application 2021
Starting January 2021
JHS SCHOLARS: CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FOR INCOMING FRESHMEN STARTING JANUARY 2021
REQUIREMENTS TO APPLY:
- Must be a freshperson
- Must have an overall high school GPA of 3.0 (to keep the scholarship, must maintain a GPA of 3.0 every semester at Tougaloo)
- Must have an ACT score of 20 or higher OR SAT score of 1040 or higher
- Can be any major. However, must have an interest in pursuing a career related to healthcare, public health, or biomedical research
REQUIREMENTS IF ACCEPTED:
- Must take all JHSUTEC sponsored courses:
- Introduction to Public Health and Epidemiology (or NSD211 offered in Fall 2021);
- Biostatistics (or MAT208 offered Spring 2022)
- Research Methods in Public Health and Epidemiology (or NSD311 or SSD 311 offered Fall 2022),
- and Ethics, Medicine, and Technology (NSD211 or SSD 247 offered every spring)
- Must work with high school students in the SLAM workshops and other JHSUTEC sponsored activities for 10 weeks during the summer following the freshman year
- Must be involved in a practicum for a minimum of eight weeks during the summers following the sophomore and junior years
- Must attend seminars and other activities designated by the JHSUTEC
- Learn about career opportunities in public health and other health related professions.
- MCAT and GRE Prep
- Be mentored by professionals.
- Earn stipends.
- During the academic year, freshmen scholars will earn a maximum of $300 per month, the sophomores will earn $350 per month, and the juniors and seniors earn $500 per month. The amount of stipend will be determined at the beginning of each semester.
- During the summer, the maximum stipend for rising sophomores will be $3000 and $4500 for rising juniors and rising seniors.
Wednesday September 30th, 2020
How to Apply:
Complete the online application form: https://form.jotform.com/202384758520154
*Your application will be marked complete once the following documents are received
- The online application form
- Two letters of recommendations; one must be from a science or math teacher
Please note the application will ask you to upload the following information:
- Personal Statement
*Letters of recommendation requests will be automatically emailed to professors that you list as your recommenders on the application.
*Your high school academic transcript and standardized test scores will be requested from the Registrar’s office.
Please Read Important:
It will be beneficial for you to work on your personal statement and resume in a word document so that it will be ready for uploading to the application for submission. The personal statement and resume must be submitted at the same time as the application. We will not accept them separately. Please be mindful if you wait to submit until September 30th, your letters of recommendation request will be emailed to your recommenders September 30th and your application will be late. Therefore, it is encouraged to for you to submit your recommendation well before September 30th to provide recommenders adequate time to submit your recommendation.
Upcoming informational sessions will be held virtually. The informational sessions will be promoted via the Tougaloo College website, freshmen forum, campus wide email, and social media for prospective applicants.
For additional information, you may contact Mrs. Mohamed, scholar coordinator at 601-951-4385 or firstname.lastname@example.org