Science, Language Arts and Mathematics (SLAM) Workshops
SLAM Workshop I (for students who will have completed 9th grade by June 2021). June 28-July 23, 2021
SLAM Workshop II (for students who will have completed 10th grade by June 2021). June 1-25, 2021
SLAM Workshop III (for students who will have completed 11th grade by June 2021). June 1-25, 2021
Goals of the SLAM Workshops:
* Enhance participants’ language arts, mathematics and science skills
* Improve participants’ reading and test taking skills
* Teach students about the Jackson Heart Study
* Educate students about health issues that affect African Americans
* Provide information about career opportunities in the health sciences
Structure of the workshops:
* All workshop sessions include classes in reading enhancement.
* Classes are taught by experienced teachers.
* Classes are held Monday through Friday from 8 AM to 5 PM.
* HOUSING AND LUNCH WILL NOT BE PROVIDED.
* Overall Grade Point Average
* Courses taken
* Standardized test scores
* Recommendation letters
* Quality of essay submitted with application
Information for SLAM 2020 Participants
If you participated in SLAM I or SLAM II during the summer of 2020, you do not need to complete an application. You will receive an email from the JHS UTEC office informing you of your SLAM 2021 participation status.
Application Information for New Applicants
* The online application can be accessed here: 2021 SLAM Application<https://form.jotform.com/200774070080143>
* WE WILL NOT ACCEPT APPLICATIONS THAT ARE NOT SUBMITTED ONLINE.
* Once you begin the application, you will not be able to save your responses and return to complete the application later. You must complete the application all at once.
* Applicants, please be aware that recommendation forms will not be released to your recommenders until you have submitted your application. Therefore, you are strongly encouraged to submit your application well before the deadline to ensure that your recommenders have adequate time to complete and submit their recommendation forms before April 16. Please check the email addresses you provide for your recommenders for accuracy.
* You will be able to upload your academic transcript and/or most recent report card within the online application. Further instructions are provided on the application. If you do not upload your academic transcript and/or most recent report card within this online application, you are responsible for submitting these documents by either email (email@example.com) before the deadline.
* THE APPLICATION AND RECOMMENDATION FORMS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE AFTER APRIL 16, 2021. SLAM applications without accompanying recommendation letters and transcripts or report cards will not be considered.
* If you have any questions about the application procedure, please email Kisa Harris, the SLAM Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org .
* Application: All NEW applicants must complete the online application.
* Academic Record: Ninth (9th) grade applicants must submit the most recent report card. Tenth (10th) and eleventh (11th) grade applicants must submit a high school transcript and most recent report card. Applicants who do not upload their academic records within the online application are responsible for submitting these documents to the JHS UTEC office by email before April 16, 2021.
* Two (2) Letters of Recommendation: All applicants must have two letters of recommendation submitted on their behalf. One of these two letters must be submitted by a math or science instructor.
ALL application materials must be submitted by April 16, 2021. Students are encouraged to apply as early as possible before the application deadline. To complete the application, click here: 2021 SLAM Application<https://form.jotform.com/200774070080143>
Jackson Heart Study Undergraduate Training and Education Center (JHS UTEC)
500 W. County Line Road
Tougaloo, MS 39174