Welcome to The Office of Career Services and Quality Enhancement
The Office of Career Services and Quality Enhancement aims to prepare scholars for life after college, by offering opportunities for advancement by becoming knowledgeable of current Career Opportunities, Experiential Learning opportunities, and offering professional support in areas such as: Resume Editing, Mock Interviews, Professional Development.
Melissa McCoy, Ph.D.
Director of Career Pathways/Career Services/QEP
Ms. Patrice Sims
Location: Zenobia Coleman Library
Planning with an End in Mind
The Office of Career Services’ (OCS) mission is to provide opportunities for students concerning the selection of career objectives, employment opportunities, graduate and professional school selection and other career related activities. In order to carry out this mission effectively, the OCS provides students with opportunities to engage in meaningful activities related to career development and employment. All students, from freshman year to graduation and beyond, are encouraged to take full advantage of these valuable services.
What is Experiential Learning and why is it important?
- Experiential learning is an approach to education that emphasizes engaged student learning through direct experience and intense reflection to increase knowledge, acquire lifelong learning and problem-solving skills, and elucidate values. Research has shown experiential learning increases the quality and depth of academic study and makes learning more enjoyable and fulfilling for both students and teachers. Experiential learning can come in many different forms at Tougaloo College and can occur both in and outside the classroom. All scholars matriculating through Tougaloo College are required to complete a form of experiential learning. Types of experiential learning that students may be exposed to through Experiential Learning include:
- Clinical Experience
- Field Work
- Simulations and gaming/role playing
- Student Teaching
- Study Abroad
- Undergraduate Research
Experiential Learning Documents:
Students are required to begin the process of completing the placement packet prior to beginning their placement. Upon completion of assignments, students are responsible for ensuring that all sections of the placement packet are complete with signatures prior to submission to the Office of Career Services. If there are questions, please email email@example.com.
Roadmap to your College Success……
Career counseling is available to all students. Individual counseling helps address the following questions:
- Who am I and what are my talents, skills and interest?
- Where do I want to go?
- How do I get there?
Use the following From College to Career Guide to aid you in your successful matriculation at the College.
Students! Get FOCUSed On Your Future!
FOCUS2 is an online, self-guided, interactive program designed to help you select the right college major and plan your career based on your personal interests, values, skills, personality, and aspirations.
Searching for a Career and Experiential Learning Opportunities
UNICEF Partnership Opportunities: Thursday July 21, 2022
HBCU Tech 22 Conference – Future of Work Academy: Registration opens August 8, 2022
Brown University’s Alpert Medical School: August 5, 2022
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute: deadline July 22, 2022
The Borgen Project: open until filled
Fountain Construction Co Inc: open until filled
U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Office of Intelligence and Analysis (I&A): closes August 31, 2022
Franklin Covey Education: Rethink Leadership in 2022
Platinum Agency: open until filled
Auburn University (Black Graduate and Professional Student Association)
United State Department of Labor
U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC): open until filled
The Philadelphia Center
Georgetown Center on Poverty and Inequality at the Initiative on Gender Justice & Opportunity: open until filled
Career Services Survey
Career Development Resource Center (Canvas) - Career Development is a “continuous lifelong process of developmental experiences that
focuses on seeking, obtaining and processing information about self, occupational and educational alternatives, lifestyles and role options”.
Handshake is our free online job database for students and alumni. Search for part-time jobs, internships, and full-time jobs. https://tougaloo.joinhandshake.com/login
Current Career Opportunities
- United State Department of Labor
- City Year New Orleans
- Team Member
- Reaves Law Firm
- Pre-Litigation Attorney
- Intake Representative
- Litigation Paralegal
- Pre-Lit and Client Care Paralegal
- Cato Institute
- United States Office of the President – Cyber Security
- Platinum Agency
- Brand Marketing Intern
- Game Play Software Engineer Intern
- Live Content Engineer Intern
- UX Design Intern
- Unted States Equal Opportunity Commission
- Equal Opportunity Investigator
- The Philadelphia Center
- Georgetown Center on Poverty and Inequality at the Initiative on Gender Justice and Opportunities
- Youth Engagement Associate
- Program Coordinator