TOUGALOO STUDENTS PARTICIPATED IN FORMANWATKINS DIVERSITY PIPELINE PROGRAM
Tougaloo, MS, May 7, 2021—Three Tougaloo students were chosen to participate in the Diversity Pipeline Program hosted by the FormanWatkins in Jackson. Clifford Benton, Ayanna Hill, and Tia Patrick attended seminars offered to Tougaloo College students interested in pursuing civil litigation career opportunities. A three-and-a-half-day program was hosted to give the students an overview of the “firm life,” while discussing some of the firm’s practice areas including pro bono, recruiting, and diversity & inclusion committees.
The students were provided attorney mentors during the program to facilitate discussions and help with the research assignment. The Program concluded with the Tougaloo students participating in a Zoom hearing live in federal court before Judge Carlton Reeves.
FormanWatkins and Tougaloo College plan to continue the Program next year and hope to create lasting relationships with the students. The three students were also part of the Reuben V. Anderson Pre-Law Program at Tougaloo College under the direction of Attorney Julian Miller.
More about FormanWatkins’ Diversity Pipeline Program.
Program Eligibility Requirements:
- Members of a group traditionally underrepresented in law school and the legal industry;
- Not currently enrolled in law school;
- Currently enrolled as a junior or senior at Tougaloo College with a minimum GPA of 3.5; and
- A Mississippi resident preferred but not required.
FormanWatkins Diversity Pipeline Program includes:
- Civil litigation legal education seminar;
- Panel of attorneys to answer questions regarding life as a civil litigator;
- Attorney shadowing opportunities during meetings, court appearances and/or depositions;
- Networking with practicing attorneys and current law students;
- Stipend of $1,000; and
- Mentorship during and after the program
For more information about or an application to participate in FormanWatkins Diversity Pipeline Program, please contact Holland Familia, Director of Marketing & Recruiting, via email, firstname.lastname@example.org.