2016-2017 Cheer and Dance Tryouts Coming Soon!!
Tougaloo College's Cheer Squad for the 2016-2017 academic school year may consist of up to 20 students or more. This year cheer squad members will participate in sideline cheerleading. The first priorities of the squad is 1.) supporting our athletic teams on the sidelines at all home and local basketball games (usually around 7 to 9 games per semester), 2.) assisting the college with events such as registration, High School Day, etc. as needed 3.) and representing Tougaloo College in the community.
All squad members must understand that they are to represent Tougaloo College with dignity, pride and professionalism at all times. The squad members must also understand that they are ambassadors of the college and must act appropriately during performances as well as when they are not performing. The squad members are students first and squad members second.
- ELIGIBILITY - (for candidates chosen for the 2016-2017 TC squad)
- Each squad member must maintain a minimum semester and cumulative GPA of 2.5 in order to be eligible to cheer.
- Each squad member must enroll in a minimum of 12 units per semester
- Each squad member MUST be in good academic and disciplinary standing with your college or high school.
- Each squad member MUST have completed a physical.
- If I am a first year student or transfer student entering the college, I must meet the admission requirements of the college and have received an acceptance letter.
- If I am selected, I must grant permission to release my semester and cumulative grades to Cheer\Dance Advisor for as long as I am a member.
- Each squad member MUST submit two letters of recommendations. Current Students must obtain at least one recommendation from one of their current instructors, advisors, chair or dean.
- Each squad member MUST understand that judge(s), coach(es) and advisor(s) decisions are FINAL at all tryouts.
- GENERAL POLICIES
- The squads will participate in different fundraisers to raise the funds necessary for uniforms, competitions, etc.
- Each squad member must abide by rules and regulations as outlined in the Tougaloo College Student Handbook.
- TIME OBLIGATIONS
- Practices for the 2016-2017 Tougaloo College Cheer squad are TBA. Practice times scheduled and set will be mandatory for all squad members.
- Dedication, time management skills and industriousness are attributes that cheer squad members will need to possess. If you are unwilling to put forth the time for attendance at practices, games, fundraisers and volunteer services, you may not need to reconsider applying for cheerleading because it is a very time consuming activity.
- MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION
- For those trying out, your current cheer coach/advisor may be called as a reference.
- The squad member is responsible for purchasing their uniform and other attire or items needed although we plan to offer fundraiser suggestions to assist.
- Information on this page is subject to change and updated as needed.
For additional information, please contact:
Lashanda Jones-Lewis, Cheer Coach
601-977-6183 Cell: 601-345-6559