Jackson Heart Study Undergraduate Training and Education Center (JHSUTEC) Scholar Application 2019
Starting January 2019
JHS SCHOLARS: NINE POSITIONS OPEN FOR INCOMING FRESHMEN Starting January 2019
REQUIREMENTS TO APPLY:
- Must be a freshperson
- Must have an overall GPA of 3.0 (to keep the scholarship, must maintain a GPA of 3.0 every semester)
- Must have an ACT score of 20 or higher
- Must be a major in either the Natural Science or Social Science Divisions
- Must have an interest in pursuing a career related to healthcare, public health, or biomedical research
REQUIREMENTS IF ACCEPTED:
- Must take all JHSUTEC sponsored courses:
(NSD211) Introduction to Public Health and Epidemiology (Fall 2019), (MAT208) Biostatistics (Spring 2020), (NSD311 or SSD 311) Research Methods in Public Health and Epidemiology (Fall 2020), and (NSD211 or SSD 247) Ethics, Medicine, and Technology (offered every spring)
- Must work with high school students in the SLAM workshops and other JHSUTEC sponsored activities for 10 weeks during the summer following the freshman year
- Must be involved in a practicum for a minimum of eight weeks during the summers following the sophomore and junior years
- Must attend seminars and other activities designated by the JHSUTEC
- Learn about career opportunities in public health and other health related professions.
- MCAT and GRE Prep
- Be mentored by professionals.
- Earn stipends.
- During the academic year, freshmen scholars will earn a maximum of $300 per month, the sophomores will earn $350 per month, and the juniors and seniors earn $500 per month. The amount of stipend will be determined at the beginning of each semester.
- During the summer, the maximum stipend for rising sophomores will be $3000 and $4500 for rising juniors and rising seniors.
Thursday OCTOBER 25, 2018
How to Apply:
Application forms will be available on both the Tougaloo College and Jackson Heart Study websites by September 8, 2018.
*Your application will be marked complete once the following documents are recieved 1) The online application form 2) a copy of your official high school transcript with ACT (or SAT) score and 3) two letters of recommendations; one must be from a science or math teacher. Please submit official transcripts to the JHSUTEC Office.
For additional information, call Mrs. Mohamed at 601.977.7781 or Ms. Harris at 601.977.7754.