JHS SCHOLARS: 12 POSITIONS OPEN
Scholarships Starting January, 2014
REQUIREMENTS TO APPLY:
- Students must be fresh persons
- GPA of 3.0 overall (to keep the scholarship, must maintain a GPA of 3.0 every semester)
- ACT of 20 or higher
(Please Note: Those with an ACT below 20 - need program director approval for applying)
- Students may major in Natural or Social Sciences
- Must have an interest in pursuing a health career and/or biomedical research.
REQUIREMENTS IF ACCEPTED:
- Must take all JHSUTEC sponsored courses: Introduction to Public Health and
Epidemiology (Fall 2013), Biostatistics (Spring 2014), Research Methods in Public Health and Epidemiology (Fall 2014), and Ethics Medicine and Technology (offered every spring).
- Work with high school students in the SLAM workshops and other UTEC sponsored activities for 10 weeks during the first summer.
- During the summers of the post Sophomore and Junior years be involved in a practicum for minimum of eight to ten weeks.
- Attend seminars and other activities designated by the JHSUTEC.
- Learn about career opportunities in Public Health and other health related professions.
- Work under the mentorship of professionals.
- During the academic year the maximum stipends will be: Freshman $300 per month, Sophomores $350 per month and the Juniors and Senior $500 per month.
- During the summer maximum stipend will be: $3000 as a Freshman and $4500 as a post
Sophomore and post Junior.
OCTOBER 27, 2013
Start date January 2014
Application forms can be downloaded below or obtained from the JHSUTEC office.
For additional information call 601.977.7820 or 601.977.7816
You should submit along with your completed application the following: (a) one page essay describing what your interests are and why you want to be a JHS Scholar and (b) a copy of your High School transcript with ACT score. Return completed application to JHSUTEC office.