JHS SCHOLARS: 12 POSITIONS OPEN
Scholarships Starting January, 2015
REQUIREMENTS TO APPLY:
- Students must be fresh persons
- GPA of 3.0 overall (to keep the scholarship, must maintain a GPA of 3.0 every semester)
- ACT of 20 or higher
(Please Note: Those with an ACT below 20 - need program director approval for applying)
- Students may major in Natural or Social Sciences
- Must have an interest in pursuing a health career and/or biomedical research.
REQUIREMENTS IF ACCEPTED:
- Must take all JHSUTEC sponsored courses: (NSD211) Introduction to Public Health and Epidemiology (Fall 2014), (MAT208) Biostatistics (Spring 2015), (NSD311or SSD 311) Research Methods in Public Health and Epidemiology (Fall 2015), and (NSD211or SSD 247) Ethics Medicine and Technology (offered every spring).
- Work with high school students in the SLAM workshops and other UTEC sponsored activities for 10 weeks during the first summer.
- During the summers of the post Sophomore and Junior years be involved in a practicum for minimum of eight to ten weeks.
- Attend seminars and other activities designated by the JHSUTEC.
- Learn about career opportunities in Public Health and other health related professions.
- Work under the mentorship of professionals.
- During the academic year the Freshman will earn a maximum of $300 per month, the Sophomores will earn $350 per month and the Juniors and Seniors $500 per month. The amount of stipend will be determined at the beginning of each semester.
- During the summer maximum stipend will be: $3000 for the post Freshman and $4500 for post Sophomores and post Juniors.
OCTOBER 27, 2014
Application forms can be obtained from the JHSUTEC office.
For additional information, call 601.977.7820 or 601.977.7816
You should submit along with your completed application the following: (a) one page essay describing what your interests are and why you want to be a JHS Scholar and (b) a copy of your High School transcript with ACT score. Return completed application to JHSUTEC office.